Start Your Planning for 2017
All of you reading this have successfully made the transition into 2017. That is a good thing in many ways, not the least of which is the possibility of another great racing season! It is time to start planning to see if you can become one of our 2017 champions like the drivers above who are Monoposto's 2016 champions.
The Monoposto Racing schedule for 2017 is very similar to this past year’s, with the only changes being:
- Replacing the May race at Barber with the May race at Elkhart
- Replacing the regular SVRA Indy race with the Open Wheel World Challenge at Indy
The Indy Lights schedule with modest changes has also been set. Both are available on the 2017 Schedule page.
This is also the year that the Formula Junior Diamond Jubilee World Tour comes to North America. On their calendar is the Indy Open Wheel event, the VARAC Vintage Festival, Mid-Ohio, the Rolex at Monterey, the Lime Rock Historic Festival, the Vintage Grand Prix at The Glen and the September Elkhart Lake event. As optional races they have include the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and the Monterey Pre-Reunion. Holy smokes, that is a series!
On a related note, five Monoposto members sent cars to Australia and New Zealand last August. Three of the cars are participating in the Down Under rounds of the Formula Junior Diamond Jubilee World Tour. They had three races in Australia in 2016 and are preparing to race in New Zealand and back in Australia in early 2017.
As mentioned in my last message, we have been updating the rules with a focus on Formula Ford. The primary changes there are:
- Inclusion of the Hoosier Formula Ford tires based on the lap time and wear experience in 2006.
- Adoption of the SCCA 2015 GCR Kent and Cortina engine rules to replace ours. I believe the most significant changes are a reduction of minimum flywheel weight and the inclusion of aluminum heads. Minimum car weights do NOT change.
- Elimination of the requirement that HFF cars have steel shock bodies. Functional requirements are unchanged.
Copies of all class specifications can be found on the 2017 Rules page. If your car was legal against last year’s rules then it is legal against the updated rules.
This will be a big year for vintage formula car racing. Please make sure you get into your fair share of the fun!
As always, if you have any suggestions or feedback, please feel free to send me an email.
Stay safe in the off season.
President, Monoposto Racing